What's Cooking?

What's Cooking?

Wednesday 24 June 2015

Chapter 14 (B)

Arnav woke up to a sudden dull pain in his wrist while being completely disoriented as to where he was. He tried moving his head against the heaviness he felt, when his face pressed down on a soft pillow...no not a pillow, it was something else. He blinked in the dim lights to focus where his head was resting, when he realized his head was resting on someone's lap.

Mustering all his strength, he tried to get up, when the person he was apparently sleeping on fell right on him, a dainty hand sliding against his chest, while her long fragrant hair fanned across his face, making him close his eyes again and savor the silken feel...and that fragrance...wait!

Khushi jolted out of her deep sleep, when she felt the sudden fall. Her groggy eyes looked right back into ASR's startled confused ones, as her hair acted like a halo around them, their faces a mere centimeter away. Their trance was only broken when Arnav yelled loudly with a wince, making Khushi shoot up and scrambled out of the bed to his other side.

"Shit...I had to turn off the drip when the glucose ran out" she murmured before doing just that and carefully unscrewing the long pipe from the appendage inserted in Arnav's wrist "It must be hurting na...can't believe I slept off" she said picking up the empty glucose bottle and throwing it in the bin, while Arnav looked on in complete bewilderment.

"What is happening? Why are you here? and my arm...wait is this a dream?" he asked groggily, still trying to make sense of the fact that Ms Gupta was in his bedroom. Khushi turned around and smiled softly, before sitting on the chair by his bed "I'll tell you everything sir, but please don't move too much...how are you feeling now?"she asked him as she looked on in concern while Arnav winced once again.

"At least the pain confirms it's not a dream" he mumbled, trying to get up, when Khushi came forward and helped him rest his back against the bed, adjusting the pillows "My head hurts like crazy and I have a needle in my writs...and you...what are you doing here?" he asked again as Khushi sat back and texted someone before looking back at Arnav

"Are you well enough to talk to Anjali ji?" Khushi asked as Arnav felt completely helpless "Will you just answer me? What are you doing in my house? And...here...I mean, what is going on?" he asked as Khushi sighed and dialed a number before giving the phone to Arnav

"Please speak to you sister...she is terribly worried; She will tell you everything" she said as she gave the phone to Arnav and got up"Wait...where are you going?" he asked in a panicked voice as Khushi pointed outside "I'll get some soup for you till then" she said as Anjali's voice came on the phone and Arnav started talking to her after a quick nod towards khushi.

XXX

Khushi heated the now tepid soup and checked the time 5am' she said as she tried to locate a mug and some tissues "Too tired to start his usual rant and insults I bet..." she muttered as she leaned against the kitchen top and waited for the soup to reach a slightly hot temperature.

She was too involved in the now gently simmering soup, to notice her boss standing in the doorway and watching her; He had heard what she had just said and felt bad at the way she thought about him; but was it really her fault?

He just didn't understand this pull he felt towards her, or why he always tried to push her away by being unnaturally rude to her. Even now, with her standing so casually in his kitchen, stirring that pot of soup she had undoubtedly made for him, got his body humming and his heart thumping like always. It just felt...so right.

As Khushi turned around after filling the large mug with some soup, she found Arnav staring at her from a distance, making her blush and fumbleabout "You shouldn't have gotten up sir...you need to rest" she said as she walked towards him and followed him back to his bedroom...a space that looked too intimate, now that he was awake.

"I just spoke to Di, she's at the airport right now...umm...thanks Khushi..." he said as she looked up in surprise and handed him the steaming mug "Are you sure you don't want to call security and throw me out?" she asked with a teasing smile, before she realized he had said her name again...

"Uh, can we sit and talk?" he asked her, ignoring her words deliberately, as she sat back on the chair, while he lied down "You have to take these tablets once you are done with the soup" she said, pointing towards the tablets on the bedside table, as he nodded and blew on the soup before taking a sip, his eyes closing at the delicious flavors tingling his taste buds

"You made this?" he asked her as she nodded nervously...did he like it? Or would he say something horrible about it...she thought twisting herhands "It's really good. Where did you find the ingredients?" he asked her as she shrugged "In your kitchen...it was well stocked" she said as Arnav drew his eyebrows together

"I'm not sure with what you made this, but when I make chicken soup, its usually with a lot of stuff which I know I don't have in my kitchen currently" he said as he savored the flavorsome broth "I'm used to cooking with limited ingredients...and I anyways don't get to cook with a lot of exotic stuff...so I improvise my recipes"she said as Arnav felt his heart squeeze; He had been so bad to her.

He finished the soup and dutifully took the tablets she gave him before leaning back against the bed and watching her. She was truly so beautiful. Even now, with a thin worn t-shirt, snug old jeans, her long hair in a disarray, eyes swollen from lack of sleep, she took his breath away...and finding her next to him, on his bed had gotten him thinking on another tangent all together

"Thank you again Khushi...you didn't have to do this...all this; especially with the way I have been with you, but you did and for that, I'll always be grateful" he said as Khushi blushed and gave him a shy smile, making him quirk his lips up a bit

"Its ok sir, I would have done it for anyone and Anjali ji was so worried" she said as Arnav smirked at her "Off course, you did it for my sister. Why would you do it for your Khadoos boss" he said and grinned as he saw her gasp, her mouth opening in a big O'...oh how he'd like to kiss that mouth...

"N..no sir, it's not like that...I mean, yes I did it for her and y..you. You're my boss and I know things have never been rosy with us, but I respect you and also understand why you are the way you are" she said softly to which Arnav remembered the incident two days ago, when he came across his sister regaling Khushi about his past

He slightly stiffened, but then sighed and looked back at her worried face...she knew, he was remembering their last encounter "I don't hold it against you Khushi...I was only upset that di told you something I don't usually want anyone to know about...its very personal for me and it wasn't her place to speak about it to anyone" he said as Khushi nodded

"I know sir, I too did not want her to tell me, but she looked so torn and needed someone to talk to...she loves you very much"Khushi said as Arnav smiled at her, his first genuine warm smile towards her "I know; its been us against the world...ever since...anyways, lets forget about all that...I think its high time, I apologize to you" he said as Khushi shifted uneasily

What was up with him? First he is being nice to her...then he compliments her...and now he wants to apologize. Did the low sugar do something to his brain? Kushi thought, as she glanced at Arnav's amused face "Nothing is wrong with me...I have wronged you Khushi, by being unnecessarily rude to you, by taunting you and making you feel miserable working for me...so I am sorry" he said as Khushi shook her head

"Its ok sir...you had your reasons...most of the time" she said, adding as an afterthought, making him chuckle...this felt so good. Speaking to him normally "Yes, most of the time...but Khushi, I know that you have talent, very raw talent and you can be great one day...but, for that you really need to work" he said as Khushi nodded

"There are lots of good cooks in the world, my mother was a fantastic cook, so was our neighboring aunty...I'm not comparing them with you, I am saying that being a good cook is not enough...what you need, truly need is passion...you need to be passionate about food, you need to be so in tune with the way things taste, feel, smell...its an art and you have all that Khushi...I have seen it, and you need to hone that" he said as Khushi sat there with her heart beating very hard..he had truly observed her all this time.

"But you want to do everything at once...you want o be a chef, without understanding what being a good chef entails. Just by cooking well, you cannot be where you want to be...you need to put in hard work...you need to sweat it out and learn and soak up every bit of information and technique you come across...being a chef is not cooking someone else's recipe to a tee...its inventing your own and making sure its damn well perfect" he said as Khushi felt her heart soar at his words

"I will help you Khushi, you have earned it...not because of what you did for me today, but because of how you have been working diligently all these months, without complaining; and I know you deserve this and more" he said as Khushi smiled and nodded"Thank you sir...I understand now why you wanted me to start at the bottom" she said as Arnav leaned back and listened to her

"Ever since I discovered my love for cooking, I've wanted to be a chef...not for the fame and money, but to cook for others...It gives me a different kind of euphoria when someone appreciates my food or I succeed in bringing a smile of satisfaction to their faces" she said as Arnav smiled and pointed to the soup cup, making her blush again

"As you rightly pointed out once, without a formal degree, I can never be a true chef...and I want to pursue that" she said as Arnav nodded and agreed with her "Yes, you should and I would suggest a part time course, where you can learn and practice at the restaurant...if you can manage it" he said as Khushi beamed

"You mean, you will let me cook?" she asked as Arnav chuckled "Not exactly...but I will be your mentor...and help you reach your potential...and yes, it will include some cooking" he said as Khushi leapt up and gave him an impulsive hug, making his breathing stop for a minute as her lush body pressed up against his

But before he could savor the feeling for a bit longer, and put his arms around her...she pulled back with shining tears in her eyes, making him confused "I will be so honored sir...I really don't know how to thank you for this; I'll start looking for part time courses right away" she said as Arnav centered his attention back on the conversation they were having

"Uh..yeah, I'll ask Akash to help you out and will give my letter of recommendation if required, but Khushi...you have to do this on your own. Can you afford the fees? You can apply for a loan from Perido if you like" he said as Khushi felt an overwhelming need to just hug him again and kiss him soundly on his lips...God! What was she thinking? One impulsive hug was enough to make her heart beat wildly for the next few days

"I will be fine sir...I have savings and if required, will take my family's help...but as you said, I have to do this on my own..." she said as Arnav nodded and held her hand "You'll do great...I know you will" he said as Khushi blushed and watched his large hand on hers...she was sitting very close to him on the bed, and if they leaned forward, their faces would be very very close...

"Chote!!!" they heard Anjali's voice from the living room, as both sprung apart...making Khushi hastily get up and tidy things around her as Arnav sat back, ram rod straight on the bed...they did not realize that it had been nearly two hours since they sat talking, and Anjali and her family had already reached his apartment

"Oh God...Chote, are you all right? I can't believe you forgot' to eat!! You own a restaurant for God's sake!!" Anjali said as she rushed by his side and enveloped him in a fierce hug "Di...I'm fine..." he said as Anjali's husband walked in, carrying their sleeping son on his shoulders. He lay down the little cherub next to Arnav before coming to stand by Anjali "You just had to spoil our vacation" he said as Arnav laughed loudly while, Anjali hit him on his stomach

"Ouch! Anju...it's high time your brother marries...only then there will be some privacy in our lives!" he said chuckling away as Khushi felt she was intruding in on a private moment "Shut up, but yes...I do agree with what you just said...Chote, now I will get you married as soon as I can...let you wife take care of you!"Anjali said as Arnav rolled his eyes "Di..please...you just got here and I am sick" he said as Anjali caressed his cheek before turning around to find Khushi standing awkwardly near the door

"Khushi...oh God, I totally forgot to thank you" she said as she got up and went to hug Khushi, who smiled at her "It's nothing Anjali ji..."she said as Anjali, tightened her hug before letting her go "No Khushi, what you did for me...for us, we will always be indebted to you...you truly are an angel" she said as Khushi blushed fiercely

"Khushi, this is my husband Abhishek, and Abhi this is Khushi...she's my friend and..." Anjali was saying when Arnav interrupted her "and part of Perido family..." he said making Khushi gape and Anjali smirk "Yes, she is...but didn't you say something else lat time..." she said as Arnav warned her with his eyes, making Khushi go further red in the face

"Umm...I have to go Anjali ji...need to go home and then get to the restaurant...its nearly 8 now" she said as Anjali shook her head vehemently "Nonsense!!...you will take the day off today, and please get some rest in chote's guest bedroom...I know you have not slept at all" Anjali said as Arnav watched on amused...no one could argue with this sister

"N..no Anjali ji...I have to go home, my cousin is coming back from her trip and I need to get some things done before I leave for work...I'll be fine.." she said as Arnav decided to take the matter in his hands, otherwise they would be stuck in this to and fro

"Khushi, please take some rest, if not here then go home and get some sleep...you can take a half day and go in the evening for work" he said as Anjali nodded "Yes, my cab driver will leave you...he's our trusted taxi guy in Mumbai...you just relax and take some rest...you can go in the evening" she said as Khushi nodded and agreed to take a half day.

"Khushi, take care..." Arnav said softly, as Khushi smiled and said a quick good bye to Anjali's husband; Anjali smirked mischievously as she walked Khushi out while calling the driver to keep the cab ready "Take care Khushi and thanks once again for everything, also If you don't mind...please call me only Anjali or di..." she said as Khushi nodded and hugged her before getting inside the elevator

Anjali rushed back in and made her way to Arnav room...she smiled as she saw her brother joke about with her husband, while running his hands on her sleeping son's head...Her brother deserves this too...a family, someone to take care of him...be with him and somehow, fate her landed her right in their midst...she only hope both were smart enough to figure it out soon!

9 comments:

  1. I love this sweet and understanding Arnav...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful update. Stalking helps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. loved it. can't wait for more. please update soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. PLZZZ PLZZ UPDATE THE EPILOGUE SOON!....HAVE BEEN WAITIN FOR IT 4 AGES....JUST PLZZ GIVE IT THE CLOSURE....ITS BEEN SO MANY MONTHS!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey dear ... how r u .. it’s been so long ... wished you could write again .. missing ur stories
    By the way ur other blog had been gone to private plz add me I wanna read again ur old stories
    My id is ruki780@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sweet!
    I love this story a lot and it's one of my favorites
    Please post the rest of the chapters here. I can always go on IF and that's what I do, but reading it all at once is more fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just saying thanks will not just be sufficient, for the fantasti c lucidity in your writing. I will instantly grab your rss feed to stay informed of any updates. overhead absorption definition

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really nice and interesting post. I was looking for this kind of information and enjoyed reading this one. Keep posting. Thanks for sharing. half gallon to cups

    ReplyDelete