What's Cooking?

What's Cooking?

Thursday 18 June 2015

Chapter 13

The day at the orphanage was probably one of the best days Khushi had spent since she had come down to Mumbai. She couldn't remember the last time when she had so much fun and had already made up her mind to come there often, with large containers of Jalebi's for her young fans.

She happily packed up the rest of Jalebis for the cook to store in the kitchen, while ASR and Anjali, along with the rest of the staff cleaned and stacked the washed containers that were to be taken back to the restaurant

She was just walking out of the common washroom after washing her hands off the sugary sticky syrup, when she walked smack into her boss, who was coming inside at the same time, making her nearly fall at the impact.

"Watch where you are going!" he said loudly, making her take a step back and hold onto the wall in shock "Sorry...I didn't see you coming" she said softly, as she tried to get around him when he stopped her by putting his hand on the wall, blocking her way.

"I'm...its...ok" he said as she suddenly looked up at his unusually calm voice, her eyes rounding in disbelief, as she glimpsed a streak of guilt in his caramel brown eyes, "Listen Ms Gupta...I...umm.." he said, clearly struggling to say something to her

"Yes, sir...?" she asked uncertainly as he took a deep breath and let it out in one go "The Jalebi's were good...I approve...and I also appreciate your help today" he said quickly as Khushi was once more left stunned
  
"Now, if you don't mind I need to go to the washroom" he said as Khushi looked at him weirdly "Sure sir...It's not me blocking my way out" she said, as a small smile threatened to break from her lips. Arnav quickly took his hand off the wall and walked past her quickly, but not before he heard a soft Thank you" from khushi, making his lips quirk for a second before it went back to his usual signature scowl.


XXX


Anjali smirked and started walking towards Khushi as she saw her make her way out of the washroom, silently giggling away "Hmm...didn't I just see my brother walk in there? And what' the joke that made you giggle?!" she asked with a grin, making Khushi's face go tomato red.

"Oh...n..nothing Anjali ji...just like that only" Khushi said as Anjali narrowed her eyes, but before she could ask any more questions, Khushi pointed towards the photos and frames lining the wall across them, adorning  ASR's achievements and news clippings related to him and Perido.

"What's all this? Looks like everyone here really loves ASR" she said with a smile as Anjali nodded proudly "Yes, they have all been a part of chote's life and have seen him struggle to reach where he is today...he's been through so much..." she said emotionally as Khushi scrunched her eyebrows in confusion and concern

"Struggle? What do you mean?" Khushi asked in curiosity, but apologized right away to Anjali, in case she thought Khushi was being too personal  "Sorry...I didn't mean to pry Anjali ji" she said as Anjali shook her head and smiled gently at her; she held Khushi's hand and led her outside to sit on the small verandah overlooking the playground where some of the kids were busy playing football

"Khushi, there is a lot about my brother that many don't know. All they see is the ruthless and reclusive man who is well respected and also feared to some extent. But they don't know the real ASR...Arnav...who was more or less forced into changing himself to the way he is today...who sometimes even I don't recognize" she said as Khushi sat very still listening to her every word

It was making her a bit uncomfortable to hear about her boss, especially something that was clearly very personal, but she did not have the heart to stop Anjali and she herself was more than curious to know more about him, for reasons she was very unsure of at the moment.

"We were a very happy family, Chote, me, ma and papa, but our parents  died suddenly in a terrible car accident when chote was only 9. I was taken in by my nani who ran this Aashram, while Arnav was sent to Delhi, to live with my chacha ji's family" she said as Khushi listened with rapt attention as Anjali continued to tell her ASR's past

She was horrified and shocked to hear about all that Anjali told her, and her heart cried out for the little boy who was so badly tortured. She wanted to close her ears and block out all the things Anjali was telling her, but also wanted to know and understand the man who had somehow become very important to her.

Anjali was openly crying by the time she finished telling Khushi about Arnav and all that he had been through. Khushi herself felt salty tears run down her cheeks as she leaned forward and hugged Anjali sideways, comforting her as the other woman took solace in her embrace

They both looked at Arnav, who was now busy giving football lessons to some of the younger kids that looked up to him as if he were their idol, the awe and respect for him, visible in their eyes as they followed his instructions and played just as he taught them to.

"Thank you for listening to me Khushi...I'm not sure why I told you all this, but there is just something about you that is so comforting, that I could not help myself. You are the first person I have seen standing up to my brother and not cowering when he gets into his ASR mode...maybe that is why I wanted you to know, what makes him what he is today" Anjali said as Khushi nodded.

"I understand Anjali ji...I do now; Why he always taunted me about my lack of interest in my job, why he was strict with me when I went out of line...the Restaurant is his life...and after all that you just told me, I can relate to why he must have felt like..." she started saying when Arnav's cold voice spoke from behind them

"Must have felt like what Ms Gupta?" Arnav asked as he stood right behind them, the chill in his voice making them turn around swiftly to face him. One look at their teary face, and he knew what his sister might have done after listening to the last few snippets of their conversation

He closed his eyes to reign in his anger and ignored Khushi's compassionate face while turning his stony one towards his sister "How could you di? I have not given you any right to speak about me or my past to anyone...especially her!" he said, her as Anjali got up and went to him

"Its not like that Arnav...please, I was only..." she tried saying when Arnav looked away from her and fixed his steely eyes on Khushi "I don't know what you have done to charm my sister, but if anything about my past comes out of your mouth, I will make sure you are finished...you get that?" he said as Khushi sat stock still, not sure how to respond to her boss

"Chote! Enough...she did not ask me anything! It was I who wanted someone to speak to, and Khushi is my friend and I.." Anjali said as Arnav once again cut her "She is my staff di...and I don't need her sympathy... plus if she goes and blabbers about all the juicy gossip you have given her..." he said as Khushi got up and stood facing him

"I will never do such a thing sir...please, believe me. I was only empathizing with Anjali ji and trust me, I am not the kind of person to gossip and especially not about something so sensitive. Your journey is inspiring sir, and it's not sympathy but respect that I feel for you"Khushi said stunning Arnav as he continued to stare at her before turning back towards his sister

"Lets go di...everything is loaded. Ms Gupta can make her way to the restaurant...I'm anyways coming home with you first" he said gruffly, before making his way out, not glancing even once at Khushi

"I'm so sorry Khushi...I truly did not realize things could get so wrong, but after hearing what you said to chote, I'm glad it was you I spoke to; come let's get going now, don't listen to chote, we will leave you" she said as Khushi shook her head "You go ahead Anjali ji...I'd like to spend some more time here before making my way to the restaurant...and I hope to see you soon" Khushi said as Anjali hesitated and smiled at her before giving her a quick hug and following her brother out.


XXX


Khushi scrubbed extra hard at the stubborn grease on the copper pots, before plonking it in the hot sudsy water; it looked like she was trying to take out her frustrations on the poor pots, scrubbing them so thoroughly like never before, leaving them shiny and sparking.

"Whoa! If you make them look so pretty, how do we cook in them?" NK asked Khushi who simply scowled at him and went back to scrubbing, making NK look at her closely "Oook...something is not right...you did not give me one of your famous Khushi' comebacks" he said trying to gauge her mood as she stood stiffly doing her work before looking up at NK who seemed concerned by her unusual mood.

She kept the pot aside and took off her gloves before giving him a small smile"Sorry, NK...I'm just not feeling too well" she said as NK shrugged and smiled brightly at her "Nah...its ok, you want me to make you something?" he asked kindly to which she shook her head "No, thanks...I'll be fine, guess I'm just coming down with something" she said, wondering what she should call this abject gloominess she had been feeling since yesterday

ASR's past had really touched her and she had no idea why it mattered to her so much or why her heart felt so tight as she went over all the things Anjali had told her. Her respect for her boss had gone up many notches, but she was afraid it wasn't just respect she felt for him now; it was a little bit more than that.

"Hello! Earth to K!!" NK said as she came back to the present and once again wore her gloves to finish up the rest of the work "Sorry NK...let me just finish all this up, then you can make me a nice cup of hot chocolate!" she added, trying to make up for being so moody with NK

"Done! I'll do just that...but seriously, whatever it is, you know I'm always here to listen to you and also give my expert opinion" he said as she giggled at him, making his face light up before he sauntered off to finish of his pending work

Half an hour later, Khushi sat sipping the gorgeous dark chocolate that NK had made for her, with whipped cream and marshmallows "Umm...this is so good...I love it!" she cooed as NK held up his cup of green tea and sat beside her on the couch. Most of the staff had left, leaving only the two of them and the sweepers.

"Ok, so now can you tell me what is wrong with you? Are you sad because ASR is in Delhi this week and you're missing his taunts?" NK joked making Khushi nearly scald her tongue with the hot drink before she composed herself "No...don't be silly and nothings wrong...I just...dunno..." she said as NK shifted a little closer to her, making her suddenly aware of the miniscule space between them.

"I know why you are feeling this way K..." he said as Khushi looked up at him in surprise. How does he know? Is she that transparent? "I know about your frustration and I think I have a solution for it" he said as Khushi looked further bewildered but NK continued on excitedly

"Ok...so this is strictly confidential. I mean, ASR knows, but no one else does and I think I can help you out of your situation as well" he said as Khushi looked more confused "NK...what on earth are you talking about?" she asked him when he grinned at her and shifted closer, making Khushi move back a bit on the couch.

"Here's the deal K...I have got an amazing offer from Sudeep Chabbria" he said as Khushi widened her eyes "Sudeep Chabbria? Of KEL hospitality?" she asked as NK nodded "Yes! He is opening a new International Restaurant, and wants me to be the head chef there and is also giving me shares in the venture" he said as Khushi squealed in happiness for her friend

"Oh my God! That is wonderful NK! Congratulations!! You totally deserve it!" she said as NK laughed and nodded "I know...it's the best damn thing that has ever happened to me and I know, that it will be difficult to part with Perido and rest of the gang, but this is the only way forward for me" he said as Khushi looked confused at his sudden dip in mood

"ASR will always be the head chef here K...it's his passion to cook and he will never give that up and me, I'll always be a sous chef. There is nothing further for me here, but with the KEL offer, I not only get to be the head chef, I also get to own some part of it. What more could I want?" he said as Khushi nodded understandingly

"Aaand...that is why I said, I have a proposition for you" he said, making Khushi furrow her eyebrows "I want you to come and work with me, as a Line cook and I'll also see if I can get KEL to sponsor a formal course for you from Mumbai university. You'll be touching the sky in no time! You have raw talent K...and I have seen it, so has everyone else...you can do great things with me in the new restaurant" he said excitedly as Khushi was left speechless

She will finally get to cook...be a chef! but what about Perido? And ASR... "What are you thinking!!? K...you will always be a dish washer here. ASR will never appreciate you or give you a promotion. He's too hard headed that way..." he said, making Khushi turn disbelieving eyes towards him "NK..how can you say that? He may be a tough and strict boss...but he means well and he has appreciated my work...sometimes" she said as NK exhaled and leaned back on the couch

"No, you don't get it K...he's too egoistical...he will never let you succeed. You'll be stuck on the same thing..." he said as Khushi shook her head "Thanks NK...what you are offering me, is like a dream come true...but I want to prove my mettle...and I will do so here in Perido only...I know that my hard work will come through one of these days"she said as NK lips twisted in a sneer

"Keep dreaming K...it will never happen and trust me, you will be a fool to let go of this offer" he said when Khushi shook her head gently "I know NK...but you are my friend and I want you to respect my wishes...I'll come to you when I know I'm worthy of the job you are offering today" she said as NK took a deep breath and took her cup from her before holding her hands, a strange glint in his eyes.

"I don't want to be just friends K" he said, further shocking Khushi, as she hastily pulled her hands away, making NK look away in hurt and rejection"NK..I'm sorry...I don't" she started saying when he held up his hand "It's ok...I just wanted to tell you how I felt about you...I'm not sure when it happened, but I care for you more than a friend...I really like you K...and I wish you would think a bit about us..." he said as Khushi sat still, confused at his words

Never had she thought that NK would like her in any other way, when all she saw in him, was a friend. She got up and picked up their cups to rinse them out. When she got back to the staff area, NK had already left, making her feel bad at the way she had out rightly rejected him...maybe she should have explained to him a bit more.

She sat down dejectedly as she thought of what the world had come to...Few days ago, NK was her friend..now he wanted to be something more, few days ago she had never met Anjali ji, now she felt very close to her, so much so that she chose to speak her heart out with her...few days ago, she loathed her boss...now...now she was plain confused about what she felt for him...she liked him more than she should...a lot more! Dammit!'

No comments:

Post a Comment